DCLX is dedicated to providing a safe and comfortable event experience for everyone.
Therefore, all attendees, instructors, staff, and volunteers at DCLX are required to comply with the following code of conduct. Organizers and safe spaces staff members will enforce this code throughout the event. We expect cooperation from all participants to help ensure a safe environment for everybody.
Table of Contents
Code of Conduct ↓
Being a Good Dance Event Attendee ↓
COVID-19 Policies ↓
Declaration of Safe Space
DCLX is dedicated to providing a safe and comfortable event experience for everyone, regardless of gender, age, sexual orientation, ability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion (or lack thereof). We do not tolerate harassment of event participants in any form. Sexual language and imagery in social situations is not appropriate for any event venue, including dances, lessons, Twitter, Facebook, and other online media. Event participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the event without a refund at the discretion of the organizers.
Code of Conduct
No forms of harassment will be tolerated. Harassment includes offensive verbal comments (related to gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, OR religion), sexual images in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of lessons or other events, inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention.
Harassment is not always done intentionally, but participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the event organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender or expulsion from the event with no refund. If you engage in any kind of “pick-up” behavior that makes our attendees uncomfortable, we will take extreme pleasure in escorting you to the door.
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a member of event staff immediately, using one of the methods above. We will treat these issues with the strictest confidentiality. Your courage in coming forward can keep incidents from being repeated. DCLX staff will be happy to help participants contact the event captains, Safe Space Staffer, organizers, or local law enforcement, provide escorts, or otherwise assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of the event. We value your attendance and your safety.
We expect all participants to follow these rules at all dance venues and as guests and hosts within DCLX housing.
Being a Good Dance Event Attendee
As a dancer, every dance is a gift you are giving. You are not obligated to dance with anyone, and you can turn down any dance or end it early for any reason. You are the ultimate authority on your own boundaries, which may be different with different people and which may change over time. You can always tell a partner that they’ve crossed a boundary, too, or talk with an event staff member about it.
As a dancer, every dance is a gift you are also receiving. You are not entitled to dance with anyone, and should not take being turned down as a personal insult. You should treat every dance you receive with respect and recognize that your partner is the ultimate authority on their own boundaries and physical safety. You should apologize if you cross a boundary, avoid belittling or denying your partner’s experience, and ask consent for anything you think may cross a boundary.
Do not touch or move a dancer’s mobility device (e.g. crutches, cane, or wheelchair) without their explicit consent. Tugging or pushing someone’s wheelchair around is not dancing, and will not be tolerated.
Please do not offer unsolicited advice to fellow dancers either in class or on the social dance floor (unless your partner is doing something to cause you harm, in which case, please definitely tell your partner and staff, if necessary). But also, please use your full range of senses on the dance floor to avoid accidental collisions and injuries. It is every dancer’s responsibility to be aware of their own and their partner’s movement and position, as well as the movement and position of the dancers surrounding them, in order to avoid all forms of dangerous contact.
If you are a guest staying in the home of a local, please be considerate and conscious of noise level, shower use, your hosts and your hosts’ house rules, other guests, etc.
Finally, be aware of your own boundaries and physical needs. Take care of yourself and stay healthy.
- Vaccination Requirements:
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 is required at all of our in-person events. Full vaccination means that at least two weeks have elapsed since you completed the initial course (1 or 2 doses as indicated) of an FDA-authorized vaccine. Please see this website from the CDC for more information on remaining up to date with COVID-19 vaccination.
- If it has been more than one year since your initial course of vaccination, at least one booster is required.Your booster must be administered at least two weeks prior to the event.
- If you wish to attend the event but are unable/not recommended to receive a booster, you must provide your own unopened test to be performed onsite and overseen by our designated staff member. The result of your test must be negative to attend the event.
- We are not making exceptions to our vaccination and testing requirements at this time. However, if your vaccination record does not comply with the steps outlined above (e.g. you received your vaccine in another country), you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will consider your circumstances.
- Mask-wearing is encouraged at the DCLX 2023 main event. Please respect the choices of other attendees with regard to masking choices. We encourage mutual courtesy of wearing a mask if another attendee requests you wear one in order to share a dance with them. DCLX will provide masks for those who wish to wear one.
- Please bring a valid photo ID so we can verify vaccination records at check-in.
- Please practice good hygiene, including regular hand washing or use of hand sanitizers. We will provide hand sanitizer at our events.
- We want to promote good ventilation. Whenever possible (weather and venue dependent) we will have fans on and windows open.
- All attendees are encouraged to take a rapid test within a 24 hour period before the event begins. If you are exhibiting COVID symptoms or if you believe that you may have had recent exposure to COVID and have not yet received a negative test result, please do not attend our events. If you have any questions or concerns about this please email us at email@example.com. If you have a positive PCR test prior to the event please contact us, or if you have a positive rapid test at the event, we will work with you to transfer your pass to the following year.
- DCLX will continue to monitor local conditions and national/regional/local guidelines and reserves the right to amend these policies as circumstances may require.
Still have questions? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll see you soon on the dance floor!
We don’t share your contact information with other organizations and will only use it for contacting you about our events.